Essay About Pumpkin Chocolate Pie
This is not your traditional Pumpkin Pie. Chocolate and Pumpkin may not sound like flavors that compliment one another but I do believe your palate will be pleasantly surprised! Making this pie is a bit time consuming but the outcome is well worth it! Chocolate and Pumpkin with a Sour Cream Topping that is decadent and delightful!
Dark Chocolate is Good For You!
The benefits from Chocolate come from the flavonoids which are pigments in the plants that Chocolate is made from. Flavonoids act as antioxidants which are substances our body uses to repair cell damage and promote good health. Dark Chocolate has a large number of antioxidants in it!
Did you know that Chocolate promotes heart health by lowering blood pressure and reducing LDL Cholesterol? It also stimulates Endorphins which elevate the mood!
If you like to drink milk with your chocolate you may not reap the health benefits because milk may interfere with the absorption of Antioxidants.
- Deep Dish 9″ Pillsbury Frozen Pie Shell or you can make your own
- 2 Tbs. Butter, unsalted
- 6 ounces Semi-Sweet Dark Chocolate (you will need to melt some and shave more for the top of the pie)
- 12 ounces Cream Cheese, softened
- 1 1/2 cups Sugar
- 2 large Eggs
- 1 can Pumpkin
- 1/2 tsp. Vanilla Extract
- 1/4 tsp. Cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. Nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp. ground Cloves
- 1/4 tsp. Salt
- 1 cup Sour Cream
Prepare the Pie Filling
- Melt the Butter in the top of a double boiler over simmering water
- Add the Chocolate and whisk until smooth
- Set aside the Butter and Chocolate mixture to partially cool
- In a large bowl, using an electric mixer on medium speed, beat the Cream Cheese
- Gradually add 1 1/4 cups of the Sugar
- Add the Eggs
- Add the Pumpkin, Vanilla Extract, Spices and Salt and beat until well combined
The Bottom Layer
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Pour half of the Pumpkin Filling into a separate bowl
- Stir in the melted Chocolate, blend evenly
- Pour into the Pie Shell and gently shake to settle the filling
- Bake on the center oven rack for 20 minutes
- Allow pie to cool for 15 minutes
The Middle Layer
- Spoon the remaining Pumpkin Filling over the Chocolate layer
- Shake gently to settle the filling
- Place pie on a baking sheet to catch any overflow as it bakes
- Bake for 35-40 minutes or until the filling has puffed around the edges
- Allow the pie to cool for about 40 minutes or until the filling levels
The Top Layer
- Combine Sour Cream and remaining 1/4 cup of Sugar in a small saucepan
- Stir the mixture over low heat for about 2 minutes until it is warm
- Spoon it on the top of the pie
- Cool the pie thoroughly
- Cover loosely with tented foil and chill for at least 4 hours.
- Before serving cover the top of the pie with Shaved Chocolate